It’s been a great week for us. We spent 4 days in Montego Bay, Jamaica shooting a fabulous wedding and relaxing in a gorgeous resort. Yeah, I know, it sucks to be us. I really loved the laid back vibe of Montego Bay… just fruity drinks, tropical fare and the smell of ganja in the air. Yeah mon.
So this post has nothing to do with Jamaica… it’s just a healthy version of pizza. Well, healthier version. It’s exactly what I wanted to eat after I’ve been gorging myself on an island.
Arugula Pizza Recipe
1 tsp cornmeal
1 recipe of your favorite pizza dough
1 c tomato or pizza sauce
8 oz fresh mozzarella, cut in small pieces
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
4 cups arugula
2 tsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1. Preheat oven with the pizza stone to 500 degrees for at least 20 minutes. Sprinkle the top of your pizza peel with a little cornmeal.
2. Roll out the pizza dough and place on your pizza peel. If you can toss it, then by all means do so. My pizza tossing occasionally ends up with dough on the floor. I find it easier to roll and stretch the dough to get it into a roundish shape.
3. Spread enough tomato sauce on the pizza to make a thin layer. Scatter the fresh mozzarella on top.
4. Using a quick motion, transfer the pizza from the peel to the stone. Bake for 5-8 minutes, until golden brown.
5. Mix the arugula, olive oil and garlic in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Remove the pizza from the oven and top with the arugula salad. Sprinkle with shaved parmesan. Cut and serve.
Note: I bought fresh pizza dough from Whole Foods. It’s very easy to make your own, but you just need to plan for rising time… which I didn’t have.
Note 2: Next time, I will split the dough into two… the pizza was a bit thick for my liking.
Note 3: If you don’t have a pizza peel and stone, you can just use a pizza pan… but probably won’t get that great browning on the bottom.