In honor of Halloween, I made spooky spiderweb cupcakes. They look very cool, but only take a minute to decorate. It might take a little practice to get the piping technique perfect, but it’s OK… you can just eat the ones that don’t turn out perfectly! The secret is to frost and decorate one at a time. Since this recipe only makes 12, it really doesn’t take that long. Enjoy!
Also, this is not my favorite buttercream (frosting) recipe, but its very simple and quick. If you have a better one, by all means use it!
Spiderweb Cupcake Recipe
3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c sugar
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 c sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 12 muffin tins with paper muffin cups.
2. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Combine sugar and butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Add egg and continue beating until incorporated and creamy. Add sour cream, milk and vanilla, and continue mixing until well combined. Add dry ingredients, reduce speed to low and beat until well mixed. Fill each paper-lined muffin cup with about 2 tablespoons batter. If you have an ice cream scooper, this is the perfect time to use it.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
2 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 to 2 tbsp milk
1. Combine powdered sugar, vanilla and butter in small bowl. Beat at low speed,
scraping bowl often and gradually adding enough milk for desired spreading
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vegetable oil
1. Place chocolate chips in a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and if necessary, microwave another 10 seconds until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Stir in the vegetable oil.
2. Place melted chocolate in small piping bag or small heavy-duty resealable plastic food bag; snip tip from one corner to make very small hole.
Frost 1 cupcake at a time, using about 1 tablespoon frosting for each cupcake. Immediately pipe a spiral design, from the center to the outside with melted chocolate onto each frosted cupcake. Starting at center, draw toothpick 6 to 7 times through chocolate to outside edge of frosting to make spider web design. Repeat with remaining cupcakes and frosting.
Makes 12 cupcakes